From:
"Ciotola, Nicholas P." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 12:11:30 -0500
Two sites that utilize audio cassette walking tours come to mind.  Alcatraz
Island, a site of the National Park Service, uses personal audio cassette
players to narrate the history of this famous correctional institution.
Tennessee's Graceland, too, uses audio devices to guide visitors through the
mansion while simultaneously providing a narrative account of Elvis' life.

It should be noted that this type of interpretation is usually better suited
to sites with very high visitorship thus making human-guided tours
impractical. Furthermore, some visitor surveys have demonstrated that people
generally dislike audio tours, preferring instead to be led by a human
being.

Nicholas P. Ciotola
Curator, Italian American Collection
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
1212 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
www.wpaitalians.com