From:
Amalyah Keshet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 07:05:04 PST
>On Sat, 16 Mar 1996 20:10:22 -0500  Miriam B Albahari wrote:
>>Please respond to this one on list, or at least send your comments to
me
>>also.  The issue of fees for services is always a hot one at my museum.
>>
>>_________________________________________
>>
>>Miriam Albahari
>>Registrar, Jewish Historical Society of MD
>>
>>"Miracles sometimes occur, but one has to work terribly hard for them."
>>                                                -Chaim Weizmann
>>
>>On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, McLean County Historical Society wrote:
>>
>>> We are evaluating  our fee schedule and would like to know what other
>>> museums and research libraries charge for the following:
>>> 1. Charges for general research
>>> 2. Loan of material for display  non profit or profit
>>> 3. use of photos and material for publication or commercial use
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>> Amy Vandegrift
>>> McLean County Historical Society                309-827-0428
>>> 200 N. Main St.
>>> Bloonington, Il 61701

1.  Research fees vary from $20 - 50 per hour, depending upon seriousness
or difficulty of the endeavor, and if it involves writing.  e.g. to
search for a particular image or obscure photograph, $20.  To submit
written text on scholarly research results for an exhibition catalogue or

the like, $50.

2.  Loan fees include actual expenses for materials and services, plus
staff time and work (again, one can base this on anything locally
acceptable, $20/hour, $30/hour, etc.).  For example, our Prints &
Drawings Dept. charges $25 per item; this includes matting, paperwork,
condition reporting, etc.  Special framing is of course more.

Preparing many objects for a major loan shipment can run up to $10,000 or

even $20,000, including everything (crating, conservation treatment,
photography, etc.)  There is no difference if the borrowing institution
is a "non-profit" or not.  Your time and expenses are identical in either

case. You may choose to make reciprocal agreements with institutions with

which you frequently exchange material, however.

3.  This is a very broad question, and the answer is: it depends.
Reproduction rights are determined by a number of factors (size of
reproduction, print run, world rights or N. American rights, etc.) We
have a three-page price list.  Check with the Walters (Balto.) or the Art

Institute (Chicago), and/or any local commercial stock photo agency (The
Image Bank, etc.) There are only a few minor reasons why a museum
shouldn't charge full market prices for photo licensing: our images
aren't worth less!
Name: amalyah keshet
visual resources / the israel museum, jerusalem
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Date: 03/31/96
Time: 15:48:15