From:
Jason Gart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 00:14:00 -0700
List members:

aid in the discussion,

Davidson and Lytle, _After the Fact, The Art of Historical Detection_
(New York, 1986)

Chapter twelve is entitled "The Decision to Drop the Bomb."  Although
somewhat dated it still presents the most current scholarship in the
field. The chapter also includes a very good bibliography.

For the opposing view, speak to my grandfather.  He was present in
Manchuria during the Japanese invasion of 1937. Later, as a Merchant
Seaman during the Second World War, he was torpedoed twice. To put it
mildly, his captors were not nice.

As a first year graduate student in public history, one of the first
lessons was that nobody owns history.  Although it seems like we
all share in its horrors.

Jason Gart
Arizona State University