From:
Suzanne Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 23:04:12 -0500
Alex,

I have a fair amount of experience with off the shelf database management
systems, custom designed collections management systems,  and off the shelf
collections management systems - the gamit....  I do not like Access, and
use it everyday.  It has a very high learning curve and it can't handle
images.  Filemaker pro is easier and more versatile.  And cross platform...
BUT...

> And, I
>have a person who can custom develop a package of data programs for them for
>a moderate price, moderate compared to Multimimsy and EmBark.

Too often the customizer doesn't have a museum background or even a basic
understanding of the needs of those who use the program.  They are unable
to provide reasonable documentation (not to mention a data dictionary) and
they don't have a clue about standards in the field (incorporation of
authority files, data transmission standards, etc.).  I always recommend
collections mangement systems rather than database management systems.

Suzanne

Suzanne Quigley
Head Registrar, Collections and Exhibitions
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
1071 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
212 423 3568