From:
Hillary Murtha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:29:27 -0400
I agree with Virginia that a Museum Studies degree per se does not necessarily open doors nor provide the training you really need. I think that the program at the University of Delaware, where I am taking my Ph.D, is well-balanced: students can earn a Museum Studies certificate while taking a masters' or doctoral degree in other fields. But I believe that potential employers are most likely to look for for a candidate with suitable interests, relevant prior experience, & higher degree(s) from good institutions; a museum studies degree or certificate will count less than these things. I obtained a museum job (I was very lucky) straight out of grad school, with an MA in art history, some prior museum experience, and high recommendations. Look for the program that best suits your interests WITHIN the museum world.

Good luck looking around for the right match!

Hillary Murtha