From:
prospero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 19:22:16 -0400
I'm sorry if this has been covered, if there is an archive I should check
please point me in the direction.

We are redoing one of our galleries and one of the things they want to have
is a mastodon dig.  I"ve already spoken with several people who have them in
their museums and got some very helpful hints.  What I am looking for is
suggestions for the matrix to bury the fossil panel in.

I've been told about wax and sand, but that seems a difficult thing to mix
up.  Another recipe sounded pretty good, but I was warned that it creates an
enormus amount of dust.  We looked into recycled tires, stuff called boing,
that they could just push out of the way.

Has anyone a good recipe for making the matrix?  Maybe even ideas for making
it in different colored layers.  Any suggestions would be appreciated and
thanks in advance for your help.

James Crawford
Preparator
Rochester Museum & Science Center