From:
Chanou Stolk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:15:19 +0200
In The Netherlands the RMV (national ethnographic museum) uses interactive labels for groups of objects.
Visitors can select the information wanted -of a chosen object- on a touch screen terminal. Movies are among the information available, if I am not mistaken.

To get an idea: go to http://www.rmv.nl and choose Exhibitions.
On the left is a close-up of the touch screen. In the picture next to that, you can see it displayed in the exhibition.

For more information you might want to contact the museum: [log in to unmask]

Although I really appreciate that I, as a visitor, can choose my own amount/level of information, there can be said someting negative about them as wel (of course ;-)

What bothers me:
- reaction to touch is sometimes slow ("should I repeat the movement or wait?")
- using the scrollbar is a bit difficult (especially for people who are not used to computers)
- connecting information to the object is only possible by selecting the image of the object; one can not 'ask questions' (i.e. if I want to know whether one of the wajang puppets on display is 'X', I have to look up all the puppets on the screen just to see if it is among them)
- (choosing of) information is only available to one person at a time
- appearence might seem out of date soon because of the dynamic developments in IT

Some of these things are easily adapted, others are worth consideration.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chanou Stolk