From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 16:03:26 -0700
        Not to be harsh, but as an art history graduate student, you need
to learn how to do this sort of research yourself. The Bay Area is filled
with resources you can get to v. easily on BART, such as UC Berkeley and
SFSU, which has a very good art history collection. Stanford is great too,
but may be more difficult to access. At Berkeley you should start in the
reference room--ask the librarian for help! You are allowed to use the
library as a resident of CA.  There are volumes and volumes of reference
tools on American art, which has been very intensively studied. There are
also online sources such as BHA, the Art Index, and the Humanities Index.
        You can also call around to some of the museums such as Fine Arts
Museums of SF and the Oakland Museum and see if they have someone there
who might be able to look the painting over.
        Part of the pleasure of the study of art is a "chase" just like
yours. Don't become one of those students who can't do research!

        Adrienne DeAngelis
        Editor, Resources in Art History for Graduat Students
        (http:www.efn.org/~acd/resources.html