From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:44:39 -0400
As I said to you off list, I apologize if this came across as short. My
intention was to provide you with truly helpful information. I found your
question very broad-reaching and not clearly defined. I attempted to give
you some paramaters by which you might judge how to craft a writing sample
that might meet an employer's expectations.

I will take this opportunity to apologize to you a second time, and
in "public." I was sincere when I said I wasn't trying to be snide.

Perhaps another answer to your question is: There is no perfect length to a
writing sample. Please help me understand what type of job you are applying
for and I will be happy to give you some direct advice. I hire writers for
many different types of projects and always look for specific skills when I
ask for samples. I try to make clear, by the job description, what type of
writing is expected and I discount applicants if they do not target my
needs.

Sincerely,
Diane Gutenkauf