From:
Peter Rebernik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 1998 17:34:34 +0200
Dear Declan,

1) You put the request into this list. You want that only you get the answer
via your private email. Why? If you want answers from all of us, please be
so fair as to leave the answers in the net. I would like that all the
answers you will get are known to the list. We all are interested. Why do
you want the answers only sent to you alone, although you ask us all?

2) It is, it was, it can (but it needs not) be quite boring to research
about the "role of museums in the society"!  Or do you think that the
"impact (?) of museum research on society" draws anybody outside  a museum
into a valuable discussion? Couldn't you think of more controversial issues,
which might change some thoughts in the museum world to improve the museums?
How about:

Why can't anybody else (outside museums) make good exhibitions? Or collect
objects? Do museums have a monopoly? Should they? Are they able to?

Why do we - as a society in globalisation and capitalism - need the museums
for?

Why don't we close museums and use them just as intelligent storage halls?

Why is there research within the museum and not only at the universities?

Why do universities refrain from researching within museum?

Or a good one: Why are museums so expensive?

Or (a lot of them) so boring?

Why do some museums get millions of visitors while others thrive on just
some thousands?

Why do museums need visitors? What for? Shouldn't the museums lock visitors
out?

Another question range:
Should we collect all the cultural artefacts?
Why not throw them away?
How large will the storage be in ten, hundred years time if the museum
collects it all?

Do museums really care for the poor, fight against war, crime, hunger,
injustice, racism or do they bring their audiences to be quiet, nice,
adjusted and bourgeois?

But, maybe it is a task of NATURE to be boring, well adjusted and making
their readers aware that far away Japanese whale hunters are worse than
girls fornicated by their fathers in the neighbourhood.

Greetings,
Peter, the Rebernik