Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:35:47 +1200
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free web compendium,
read weekly by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   "I love reading Global Museum. I look forward to the articles every
week. The information keeps me informed about what is going on in the museum
community and urges me to explore museums and exhibits online that I may
have never known about. Thanks!"  - User Feedback   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org  and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  US museums walk tightrope after China arrest
US museums are facing delicate choices as they strive to meet a growing
interest in China, cooperating with counterparts across the Pacific despite
alarm over the detention of top artist Ai Weiwei

**  When it comes to architecture, museums forsake the past
This is the odd cultural moment we're living in: Never have museums been so
eager to hire talented architects and give them large-scale commissions with
generous budgets and never have museums been so dismissive of architecture's
civic or historic value

**  Soldiers' art tells war stories at new Ohio museum
A World War I soldier's drawing of a night-time raid he witnessed is one of
many pieces of soldiers' artwork in a new museum devoted to history and art
from World Wars I and II

****  Global Museum's Annual Donation Appeal ****
Why is it that 170,000 Museum Professionals and Followers in 201 countries
use and trust Global Museum?
Its because we have been around for the past 15 years (time flies when you
are having fun!) and are one of the very few truly independent news and
service providers for the profession and those with an interest in
museums.So I invite you to make a donation to keep Global Museum 'alive and
kicking' for a further year.
Click
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FYCUNTUS7PT3N
to learn more and support the site.

**  Police resume probe into theft of meteorite pieces
The city police have decided to empty a century-old well behind the Chennai
Museum in Egmore as part of their search for five meteorites stolen from
there

**  Dominican Republic museum to honor victims of dictatorship
The $2.7 million museum, located in a renovated colonial home in the
capital, Santo Domingo, also will feature a re-creation of a prison torture
chamber, along with audio of some of the actual torture sessions

**  Budding scientists get Stingray Sea Lab touch tank
For many visitors destination No. 1 was the Stingray Sea Lab, the museum's
new permanent exhibit featuring kid-friendly collections of rare fish,
shellfish, coral, sea plant life and the pièce de résistance, a 3,000 gallon
touch tank containing several varieties of rays

**  Tokyo museum's World Heritage designation hopes shaken
An advisory body to UNESCO has counseled against registering 19 buildings
designed by French architect Le Corbusier, including the National Museum of
Western Art in Taito Ward, Tokyo, as world cultural heritage sites, it has
been learned

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 679?
Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet & Make Friends, Share Photos &
Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 700 members -  679 have already met online.  Join
Today At  http://globalmuseum.ning.com

**  The Girl With the Golden Wardrobe
On June 18, thousands of the most iconic costumes and props in Hollywood
history will come to the auction block, a singular assemblage of art,
fashion and nostalgia

**  Sarajevo outlines planned museum after Mladic arrest
The museum will open on the siege's 20th anniversary next year and
organisers said the timing of the announcement, four days after Mladic's
capture in Serbia after nearly 16 years evading war crimes charges, was
coincidental but fortuitous

**  The Pietà Behind the Couch
After it tumbled from its perch while being dusted one day in the 1970s, the
painting was moved from the mantel to a safe spot behind the couch, where it
effectively disappeared from awareness, both scholarly and otherwise

**  Art Museum's van Gogh gets makeover
But most visitors don't see what the museum's chief conservator, Per Knutas,
sees in this van Gogh, one of the great artist's last masterpieces:
extensive damage done by well-intended conservation efforts in the mid-1970s

TWEET TWEET - Follow Us On Twitter!   http://www.twitter.com/globalmuseum
41,280 News Tweets, 1,721 Followers worldwide and growing fast

**  Unusual fly found in Museum garden nature bioblitz
The larvae of the scarce drab wood soldier fly, Solva marginata, feed on
rotting wood under bark, which is quite unusual; most species of fly have
larvae that feed on other decaying or living plant tissue, fungi,
micro-organisms or dung, others are parasitic or predatory, and some are
aquatic

**  Beyond the Louvre
These days I prefer to visit some of Paris's other museums, as rich and
satisfying in their way as the great repositories, more harmonious and human
in scale

**  Museum unveils new hangar for Vietnam aircraft
It will house the Vietnam-era warbird collection, making up about 13 or so
aircraft, from the famous Huey helicopter all the way up through the F-8
Crusader

**  Giant predator fossil rewrites books on ancient life
An ancient sea predator with a spined head and plated mouth grew to a much
greater size and lived far longer than thought, according to a study
Wednesday shedding light on one of the Earth's most intriguing evolutionary
periods

Become a FAN -  Join 1,089 of  us who Like Global Museum on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  Museum convention showcases a gadget-filled future
Vendors at the American Association of Museums' expo hawked everything from
traveling exhibits to touchscreen displays on the George R. Brown Convention
Center floor as convention veterans marveled at how much more, well,
futuristic many of this year's booths looked than in 2010

**  Did Llama Dung Spur the Rise of Andean Civilization?
A new study suggests that a much humbler llama byproduct - dung - may have
helped maize farming take off, which in turn fueled the rise of ancient
Andean society

**  Shanghai Museum of Glass
China's most populous city aims to be a world beacon for culture, and its
latest museum in the Baoshan District could make it the world capitol for
the study and celebration of clean, clear glass

**  From The Blogs - Tracking the condition of objects in Julia Child's
kitchen
It can be a bit nerve-wracking to handle the objects while people watch,
take pictures, and talk about what you are doing (the viewports aren't
soundproof and it can be distracting listening to the visitors)

@@@@  The Global Museum Daily Tweet. Global Museum's DAILY NEWSPAPER powered
by your museum tweets - Enjoy! http://paper.li/globalmuseum/1288898965

**  Artsy, museum-going men are happier, study says
Men who enjoy taking in the ballet or browsing art museums are more likely
to be happy with their lives and satisfied with their health than men who
don't enjoy the finer things in life, a new study finds

**  Stirling Castle skeletons reveal the brutal reality of medieval warfare
say experts
The skeletons, which are believed to be those of a knight, a lady and other
high born members of medieval Scottish society, were discovered buried
beneath a lost 12th-century royal chapel excavated as part of Historic
Scotland's refurbishment of the castle's 16th century palace

**  The Sensuous Object
If you are interested in synaesthetic curating and engagement with objects
(by means of all senses), please note 'The Sensuous Object' workshop in
Copenhagen 29-30 September.

**  Frogs: A Chorus of Colors Returns
Back by popular demand, Frogs: A Chorus of Colors, has opened at the
American Museum of Natural History. Featuring more than 200 live frogs, from
the tiny golden mantella frog to the enormous African bullfrog, this dynamic
exhibition introduces visitors to these complex amphibians, their biology
and evolution, their importance to ecosystems, and the threats they face in
the wild.

**  2nd Call for Papers for The Inaugural Asia-Pacific Regional Conference
on Underwater Cultural Heritage, Nov 2011
The Asian Academy for Heritage Management warmly invites you to Manila, The
Philippines from November 8 - 12 2011 for our inaugural Asia-Pacific
Regional Conference on Underwater Cultural Heritage.

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social Network,
Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

BLOG READERS  & MUSEUM WEB SITES - Use our  RSS news feed on your site, from
this address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml