From:
Antony F Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 11:43:36 +-100
With reference to the ICOM Code of ethics in respect of museum
acquisitions and Patrick Boylan's comments on the Denney case, see below.

I perhaps gave the wrong impression that the Toulouse
museum was something of a bystander concerning the
acquisition of the Denney collection. In fact, my paper at
http://museum-security.org/denney/index.htm shows that
the Toulouse Museum provided the cover of respectability for
the movement of the pictures and the funds for transport and
insurance and storage for the pictures.

However the real point at issue concerning the ICOM code lies
in the subsequent acquisition of the pictures and relates to the
testing of a prospective donor's claim to ownership. Should the
museum take the claim to ownership at face value or not? If the
Museum is following the ICOM code, what should it do to test the
donor's claim to ownership? What constitutes sufficient proof of
ownership? Or, what constitutes a sufficient doubt on ownership
 requiring the museum to put a donation  project on hold?

In the Toulouse case, the donor's claimed to be heir to
Denney's entire estate by virtue of a Spanish will. But the collection
had not been declared on the inventory of the Declaration of Inheritance
 signed by the donor and the museum knew this. In other words, the
donor had no documentary proof of ownership. Also the donor's claim
to be sole heir to the estate was the subject of litigation in the
Spanish Courts and both the Museum and the City Authorities knew this.

I maintain that a prudent course of action for the City of Toulouse -
consistent with following the ICOM Code - would have been
to mothball plans for a donation until all ownership issues had
been definitively settled in the Spanish Courts. However the City
thought differently and went ahead with the donation.

In the Denney case the donor's claim to ownership appears
to have been taken at its face value by the museum and the
City of Toulouse and any counter claims were severely
severely discounted.

In my view a disturbing precedent has been set,
which runs against the whole spirit of the ICOM Code.
But perhaps I am wrong? What do other people think?

Antony Anderson