From:
adrienne drapkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:56:28 -0600
-----------------
>From:    Nancy McCartney <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: glucose 6 dehydrogenase
>
>I have a workstudy student (Afro-American) who has been tested for glucose-6
>dehydrogenase by one of our infirmary doctors and has been found to be below
>the levels recommended for working with PDB (mothballs).  We would like to
>have a reference for just what this condition is, and what these levels
>mean.  The doctor didn't know, or give, any information at all.  Please let
>me know a scientific reference for this condition.   Thanks.
>Dr. Nancy Glover McCartney

According to the 5th Edition of Professional Guide to Diseases, Springhouse
Corp., 1995, Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD), is a deficiency of
the red blood cell enzyme G6PD, which causes anemia, and is common in
people of African and Mediterranean descent.  It is transmitted as an
x-linked trait.  Treatment is avoidance of known oxidant drugs.  I only
consulted one book-there's probably lots more on the subject.

Adrienne Drapkin
Director
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Medical Museum
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, IA 52242
(319) 356-7106