From:
Martha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2015 09:25:44 -0500
This is a good discussion as it has brought about some very interesting points, especially about the perceived value of a cultural institution.

I wanted to respond to Mr. White by saying thank you for your observation.  You are correct in pointing out that indeed there was no mandatory admission and therefore one of the perceived perks of membership was that it offered "free" admission to the historic houses.  Technically admission is free already to the historic house sites.  However, as I said before (I think) that once we posted a "suggestion donation" amount we discovered that most of our visitors had come with the expectation to pay for a tour.  When they saw the suggested donation amount most gave that, some gave less, some gave more, and some did not give anything.
Jumping back to the membership perk.  When members came to visit the historic houses we did not want them to feel as though they needed to make a donation when they came for a tour.  The staff did not expect members to pay.  So yes, it truly has to do with the perception of value.

Thanks.

-Martha Cummings