From:
Geri Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:05:51 -0500
At 09:54 AM 11/12/97 GMT, you wrote:
>I am writing a new column on museums for Newsday, the New York newspaper. I am
> especially interested in hooking a story about a museum/exhibition  to
> newsworthy events. When President Clinton got a hearing aid, for example, I
> did a story on the Museum of Hearing, which has a collection of hearing aids
> going back  150 years and  is part of the League for the Hard of Hearing.
>   If you have a museum or an exhibition that you think I would find
> newsworthy, or if you have an idea for the column, please let me know, either
> by e-mail or snail-mail..
>   Thanks for your help.
>
>Jonathan Mandell
>Newsday
>2 Park Avenue
>N.Y. 10016

Dear Jonathan Mandell -- A look at behind the scenes of bringing in a major
and/or international exhibition would be of interest to readers.  We
recently were contracted by the Caribbean Cultural Center to arrange and
manage the registration and transportation of a 140 works of art, three
museum show -- "Transforming the Crown:  African, Asian and Caribbean
Artists in Britain, 1966-1996", being shown simultaneoulsy at the Carihbean
Cultural Center, The Bronx Museum of the Arts, and the Studio Museum in
Harlem, through March 15, 1998.  I have been working with travelling
exhbitions for over 20 years, and I am Vice-Chair of the Travelling
Exhibition Committee of the American Association of Museums.  Very few
visitors to museums seem to know the depth of organization involved and the
myriad details that make even a small museum show happen.  I'd be happy to
tell you more, or be available for quotes.
Cheers, and good luck with your column!  Geri Thomas, Partner, Professionals
for NonProfits, Inc., 515 Madison Avenue, NYC 10022; tel. 212/546-9091; fax.
212/546-9094.