From:
Cindy Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:30:35 -0500
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has recently launched the American
History and Civics Initiative "to address critical shortfalls in middle and
high school students' knowledge of American history, our political system,
and their roles as citizens."

This initiative will award $20 million in grants to "forge unique and
sustainable partnerships between public television producers and broadcast
outlets, the educational community, curriculum developers, the high tech
industry and other appropriate partners, to design, test and create
integrated interactive multimedia platforms that improve learning."

For information on the initiative and the RFP, go here:
http://www.cpb.org/grants/historyandcivics/

I know a high tech company and television producer in Los Angeles looking
for partners in submitting a proposal. If your organization is interested in
applying for the grant and need partners, let me know and I'll give you the
contact information.

I have personally seen this sort of effort work out very well for all
involved. The American Film Institute has a Digital Content Lab which
"incubates new forms of entertainment programming on digital platforms from
idea to audience" by pairing "design and technology experts with
professionals from TV, film, games and an array of programming initiators in
an R&D environment to adapt new and existing concepts to digital creation
and distribution."

Every July AFI rolls out the results of the teams for that year and
announces the teams for the next year. I've attended the presentation twice
and it's very impressive. Long-time sponsors include Microsoft, Intel,
and... CPB. I'm guessing the idea for the American History and Civics
Initiative was germinated in the rich experiences of the AFI Digital Content
Lab. Info here: http://www.afi.com/education/dcl/

I wish our museum was in a position to develop a proposal, but we're not.
I'm hoping the info falls in the hands of another organization who is able
to seize the opportunity.

Cindy Stanford
Content Developer
Exploration Place
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
300 North McLean Blvd.
Wichita, KS 67203 USA
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
(316) 266-4208 Phone
(316) 263-4545 Fax
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
www.exploration.org

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message from Exploration Place, Inc. contains information which is
privileged and confidential and is solely for the use of the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any review,
disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please destroy it
immediately and please notify us immediately at 316-263-3373. Thank you.