From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:15:06 -0400
Thank God for institutions like Heather Marie's; they are all too uncommon.

I am both legally blind and deaf, so think I have some competence to speak
for the handicapped. Further, prior to my late wife's death ten years ago, I
generally had to take her around museums and historic sites in her
wheelchair, so have an acute awareness of problems faced by those with
limited mobility.

Of all the handicapped people I know, NONE of them seriously expects old
buildings, especially those of an historic nature, to be so extensively
modified as to permit handicapped people complete access. All we ask is that
the institution make an effort to let us have a visiting experience that
allows us to appreciate the nature and character of the institution and its
contents - and if that means missing a floor or a building, this is
unfortunate, but we understand.

The REAL problems facing handicapped people come NOT from historic buildings
but from large, MODERN buildings where ignorant designers and other staff
use lighting that is so dim that people with limited sight can't SEE things
or trip over things. The same museums often feature signage and labels that
grossly misses the excellent MINIMUM standards set by AAM. Try to read 10
point regular Times Roman in black on a dark royal blue background in a
dimly lit gallery! You don't  have to have retinitis pigmentosa to have
problems. Or how about the paths through exhibits that are so narrow and
have such difficult bends that steering a wheelchair becomes a nightmare?

What's the solution? Very simple. When you are developing something -
ANYTHING!!! - involve members of your local handicapped community. Get their
ideas and let them try out yours. You will soon see (no pun intended) where
the problems are.

Sadly, very, VERY few heritage institutions ever bother to do so.

--
Harry Needham, Principal ([log in to unmask])
Harry Needham Consulting Services Inc.