From:
Karen Kroslowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 1994 08:30:26 +22305714
collections and public programs.... (she answered my Tyvek query, so I owe
her)
I believe there is serious separation due to the fact that there is so
much work to be done in collections, while there are so many public minds
to feed, and no one can tackle it all. It's curious, however, that while
public programs staff coordinates events for exhibit openings,
newsletters, and other special events, the one most members attend is the
Open House this museum holds every summer. It allows the members to go
into the collections area, see dead stuff in cases (high security, I
assure you), and ask the collections staff & researchers questions. A
helluva lot more interactive than some exhibits nowadays. We also host an
Ask-the-Experts night, where members can bring in some treasure they've
found on the beach, on a hike, or in auntie's attic. Our staff will
identify it, and tell the owner where thay can have it appraised if it may
be of value.
Meanwhile, back in public programs, the education staff is hosting hikes
and reef walks, now with REAL researchers as guides - previously they ran
these things without anyone knowledgeable enough to really teach anything.
Also, they used to never ask "what does a botanist really DO in the
field?", but they'd run a program anyway. OY! So the research staff has
gotten p.o.'ed and stuck their noses in and volunteer their Saturday
mornings in order to free their consciences of any wrong-doing the
education staff may be doing.
We've even gotten into producing our own little one wall displays to keep
the staff and publisc up-to-date on what the collections & research staff
really does do in the field, lab, etc.
Senior management misunderstands the common goal that museum staff often
hold dear to their hearts. Units can have some serious dividing lines, but
I really believe that these lines can be broken down with some hard
communication between staff. Have a potluck lunch to introduce yourselves,
share ideas, pound on desks! And ask questions yourselves!

Karen J. Kroslowitz                     phone: 808-848-4118
Natural Sciences, Malacology            fax:   808-841-8968
Bernice P. Bishop Museum                [log in to unmask]