From:
Dawn Scher Thomae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:20:51 -0600
Linda:  Talk to someone at the Denver Art Museum.  An excellent example
from a large institution.  May be able to refer you to a smaller museum
of its type.  Also, don't forget the controversial attempt by the New
York Historical Society at deaccessioning in 1988.

Dawn Scher Thomae
Milwaukee Public Museum

Lindy Farneth Please. wrote:

> Dear Museum L Subscribers,
>
> I am a student at Tufts University in the Museum Studies
> Certificate Program and am trying to conduct research for a
> paper on how small art and/or history museums react to public
> or professional criticism surrounding a decision to deaccession
> paintings or sculpture.
>
> I am looking mainly to examine the after-effects of the decision.
> Some questions that I am looking to answer are: Does a
> controversial deaccession experience change a museum's collection
> policy? How does the board react during the time of intense public
> scrutiny? How does the museum react to the media attention?  Does
> the experience cause them to re-examine certain policies?  Does the
> experience change the way in which the museum goes about selling
> the paintings or sculpture?
>
> If anyone would be interested in sharing their experiences,
> please feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]
> I greatly appreciate any help!  Thanks so much for your time.
>
> Sincerely,
> Lindy Farneth
>
> |    ||   |||  ||         r a z o r f i s h , boston
>
> lindy farneth
> [ sales administrator ]
>
> >> tel: +1.617.250.2545
> >> fax: +1.617.250.2501
> http://www.razorfish.com

> Important Subscriber Information:
>

>                                             museum-l.html. You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
> one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message
> [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read
> "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).