From:
Angela Kipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2016 16:50:40 +0200
Hi Kelsey,

you got wonderful advice so far. As I saw nobody adressing the
accession numbers conundrum so far (sorry if I overlooked that) I'd
like to weigh in on that:

Assess carefully if the numbers as they are now cause a major issue.
If they don't, don't change the system! I've seen my share of
collections that got up to three different numbering systems causing
much confusion. Along with objects having three accession numbers
written on them (yuck!) there were, of course, those without any
number at all. Numbers found in documentation didn't match with any
existing number in the database. Cross-referencing was sometimes done
and sometimes not. I never encountered a collection where the
renumbering was followed through consistently (although there might be
some), resulting in eating up a lot of staff time making sense of what
was found in the files or in the storage.
So, in my opinion, a change in numbering should only be done when the
existing system causes a lot of confusions, because:
- different objects are filed under the same accession number (even in
this case, investigate if adding an additional .001, .002, etc. could
mend this, leaving the existing number as it is)
- the numbering is inconsistent in itself and up to a point where it
is impossible to lay down the rules of it in a procedure (all
paintings have a "P", all three-dimensional objects got a "O" can
still be explained in a document "We sometimes add a "V" and sometimes
not, that's up to the curator, and if he thinks the object is valuable
or not." (true story) certainly isn't).
- the system is so difficult most of the objects can't be found
because you inevitably make mistakes wenn noting an accession number
(i.e. 4.234.1988.1.254.5)

Just my 2 cents.

Best wishes and have a good start,
Angela

Angela Kipp
Collection Manager
TECHNOSEUM, Mannheim, Germany
www.technoseum.de

Join the Registrar Trek at http://world.museumsprojekte.de/
Follow us on Twitter @RegistrarTrek
Got a chaotic collection? Read "Managing Previously Unmanaged
Collections":
https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781442263475/Managing-Previously-Unmanaged-Collections-A-Practical-Guide-for-Museums

This is my personal opinion. My institution can't be held responsible
for anything I write