From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:05:03 -0500
I am sorry to bring you the sad news that Morgan Phillips has passed away
this last Tuesday. Morgan was one of the founders of the field of historic
preservation. He labored diligently throughout his career to understand
historic buildings and developed many effective methods and procedures for
saving them.

Morgan was ever ready to share what he knew in small ways with many of us
personally, and in greater ways through his many articles, papers and
conference presentations. Just last week I met with him at a conference in
Chicago as he prepared to speak once again on preserving historic paints.

His good works have broadened our understanding of historic buildings and
how to preserve them and will benefit our cultural heritage far into the
future. This is an unfortunate loss to the field of historic preservation
and our greater humanity.