From:
Mark Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 14:48:38 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
   [log in to unmask] (Norah Shrubb) wrote:
>I've been asked to design a retrieval system for a document archive
>which, though fairly extensive, has never been  catalogued/registered/any-
>thing else except added to!  Does anyone have _any_ suggestions where I
>should start to look for advice?  I've got my notes from my museum and
>collections management courses (were part of a 3-yr conservation
>programme).  Are there any good books out there on the topic?  Would
>appreciate any advice; personal email okay.

You should contact:

Johanne Pelletier
Archives Advisor,
Archives Association of Ontario
P.O.Box 128, Station P,
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2S7

Tel/Fax:  (416) 656-9864
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

You do not have to be a member of the AAO to use her services, and it doesn't
cost you anything, its paid for through a grant.  The AAO also offers a series
of 14 two-day workshops (basic training) on setting up and manageing an
archive.  To find out about these contact:

Jennifer Bunting
Education Coordinator
Archives Association of Ontario
293 Owens Crescent,
Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7M 3G9

Tel:  (613) 542-5158 or (613) 354-3027
Fax:  (613) 531-8788

Properly setting up an archives is a big task, but there is plenty of help
available.

W. Mark Ritchie                Phone   :  (519) 888-4070
Media Library                  Fax     :  (519) 888-6197
Audio Visual Centre
University of Waterloo         Internet:  [log in to unmask]
200 University Ave West
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada      "I was just out of college and still believed
N2L 3G1                         classifications and categories" - Jean Renoir

Visit our WWW site at URL http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infoav/media.html