From:
Megan Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 15:48:42 -0600
And I am posting the following on behalf of another co-worker:

The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, located in the former Texas School
Book Depository, faced the problem of controversial and shocking images in
our 1988 planning stages.  The Museum's role, of course, is to provide
general information about the life, times, death and legacy of John F.
Kennedy, not to promote a point of view.  Ultimately, we chose not to
include the "head shot" frame from the Abraham Zapruder film (although we
show the corresponding frame from two other, far less graphic films.)

We knew a decision either way would be criticized, for strong arguments can
be made for showing the fatal shot.  Our decision came down to sensitivity
to children, for the museum expected numerous young visitors (over 60,000
18 and under last year.)

Secondly, the film in motion is misleading, in that the president's head
moves slightly forward and downward before his upper body moves
dramatically backward and slightly to his left.  The forward motion can
only be seen in slow motion close-up.  It is virtually invisible at regular
speed.  Interpretation of the movements, of course, has been the subject of
conflicting conclusions by experts and is addressed in our exhibits.

Gary Mack
Archivist
The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza