From:
Steve Alcorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 17:38:27 GMT
Maria Economou <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Following up the subject of touchscreens for museum displays:

>We are seeking advice for touchscreens for Macintosh computers for
>temporary exhibitions. The Deparment of Antiquities
>of the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford is planning a two-month exhibition which
>will include an interpretation and public information program designed
>with Apple's HyperCard. This will be placed next to the objects on
>display and will address all potential visitors, from schoolchildren to
>families and tourists.

>We would appreciate any advice or suggestion on the technical side of the
>interactive diplay.

>Ellinor, a (UK?) touchscreen manufacturer we have approached, offers two
>types of screens:

>1. The AccuTouch (Resistive on glass) which seems very accurate and
>fast-responding, but not very durable and of average image clarity, and

>2. The IntelliTouch (Surface acoustic wave) which - according to the
>advertising leaflet - offers excellent image clarity and durability, but
>does not seem as fast and accurate as the previous model.

>Any advice or experience you migh have had of these (or other) systems
>would be very helpful. We would also appreciate any tips about housing,
>security, and maintenance.

We've had trouble with _all_ capacitive touchscreens, from a durability
standpoint, although two months isn't our normal design requirement.  The only
screens we've found that simply don't physically wear out are the LED
break-beam screens, such as the CarrolTouch.  But I don't know about
availability for the Max.

Steve

Steve Alcorn, Alcorn McBride Inc.            http://www.magicnet.net/alcorn
Alcorn McBride engineers audio/video, show & ride controls for theme parks.