From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:32:38 -0700
May I suggest that Ms. De Angelis' words of advice
should be taken with great sincerity?

There are a lot of companies and institutions that
will pay (read LITIGATE) to protect their reputation.
An opinion of one staffer at an institution, retired
or otherwise, could also, in effect, jeopardize the
standing that person had with the university.

Negative publicity affects funding--whether in the
media or by word of mouth.

Perhaps, it would serve you well to get a copy of
something like the "US News and World Reports 100 Best
Colleges" (or magazines of like ilk).  When we used
that for my daughter, I was impressed because it gave
you many of the universities' demographics.  It also
gave you such information as to how many students
applied, how many students started their coursework,
and how many actually graduated.

Perhaps you could consolidate your questions such
that, if you are considering mulitiple institutions,
you can ask about each in one note.  Then, in order to
give you the best possible responses, you might ask
that listers provide their answers to you off list.
That may give you more candor and protect both you and
the responder.

--- Merri Pemberton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dear Adrienne:
>
> I felt that the question was the right one to ask,
> since I am looking at
> possible graduate programs in Art History and Museum
> Studies. I want to work
> and get my MA in D.C. or N. Virginia. I have been
> told that George Washington
> Univ. has an excellent reputation in museum studies
> by many people on this
> list, so I decided to inquire about American
> University since it is in the
> D.C. area also.
>
> I don't know about anyone else, but a university
> with a strong reputation of
> excellence in a particular academic area is
> extremely helpful in starting or
> boosting one's career, if that career is in that
> area. That is just the way
> that it is. It isn't the only thing, but it is
> strong component. Reality is
> reality.
>
> A student who does well at Duke University will have
> more employer interest
> on his/her side, than if he had done well
> academically at UNCG ( my old alma
> mater). No offense to UNCG, but it is the truth.
> Duke just has a very strong
> and well-known academic reputation...along with
> sports too.
>
> So finding out the academic reputation is not only
> useful, but it is just
> common sense. If I plan to spend my hard earned
> money at a university...I
> want to know about its reputation in academic
> excellence, which is met by the
> school itself, the faculty,and the students.  I am
> not ashamed to hide that
> desire.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Merri C. Pemberton
>
> M erri C .Pemberton

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414