From:
Tracie Kay Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:01:52 -0500
I know that few if any will agree with this but I have to say it.  I wish
everytime someone didn't like the way a museum presents its interpretation,
activites, or in this case collects that we decide to liken them to
Disneyland.  Disneyland and Walt Disney World are not that bad and they
never claim to have "true" history only myth and legend.  But as a side
note........If is wasn't for Walt Disney re-creating a nostolgic main street
at Disneyland the preservation movement might not have been as successful.
His work brought awareness at a time when preservation was badly in need of
a boost. Now, I realize that not everything is historical accurate at these
parks, but I have to say that they definitely know how to make something
fun. Why can't history can't be fun, entertaining and educational? I really
wish now that Disney had not backed out of the Disney's America theme park
idea a few years ago.  I followed the arguement very closely and, for me, it
seems that it wasn't that historians (and museums) feared so much that
people would get false information from a park that combined amusement rides
and history as much as they felt threatened by the fact that Disney might be
able to do it just as well!! (And by the way, I agreed to a point that the
location might have been better served elsewhere, but the arguements against
the park never stopped at the location!)

This is just my two cents, (and not the opinion of SHSW or anyone else that
I work with.)

Thanks
Tracie