From:
Bernard Barryte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 15:37:36 PST
REPLY TO 03/13/96 14:21 FROM [log in to unmask] "Museum discussion list":
copyright

At the Stanford University Museum of Art, we are also trying to
address the issue of copyright.  We have been considering a plan to
contact artists, or their estates, or their representative to secure
non-exclusive permission in advance for reproduction in educational
contexts---e.g. membership calendar, journal, exhibition catalogues,
catalogues raisonnes, etc.---with the understanding that we would
negotiate separately for any perceived "commercial" reproduction
such as coffee mugs, t-shirts (except with they announce a specific
exhibition, etc.

Any thoughts, observations, advice regarding formulation of the
letter?  Any similar practices and comments regarding either the
success of the effort, for example, were artist's responsive and
agreeable?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Unless this is thought to be of general interest, please respond
off-list to:

Bernard Barryte

To:  [log in to unmask]