From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 18:20:04 -0500
I am always impressed by the consistency and the tenacity of the professional
polarizations which always seem to develop over such, "How do I clean
such-and-such" requests.

First, shame on the original poster who blatantly invited flaming by tossing
out that statement about "lectures about calling conservators".  The vast
majority of conservators are ready and willing to offer advice on collections
care for free if specific information is proffered.  Also, while I'm at it,
shame, shame, shame on any conservator who flames or demeans such a request
for information.  I have learned over the years that no question is stupid -
they are asked with the genuine desire to become informed.  None of us ever
sets out to intentionally ask "Stupid" questions, do we?

Second, It just drives conservators nuts to have people seeking and applying
"recipies" to objects and then calling us when the problem either doesn't go
away or another problem develops.  Would you treat the health of your child
this way?  This is why we so consistently implore people to call us first and
act later.

Third, I know that the "you shouldn't touch that with untrained hands"
collections management, probably because it sounds arrogant and to some it
might seem to question their competance.

When faced with such queries I always ask that person on the phone, or
writing the letter, is this a valuable object to you?  Do you want to treat
it as a valued antique or heirloom, or do you want to treat it like a cheap
brass lamp you bought at a garage sale?  I will then ask very specific
questions to diagnose the problem as much as I can without examining the
object, and then I will point them towards an appropriate source of
information for further action.  I always tell folks that if they are going
to try to work on an object themselves they should educate themselves
thoroughly and  since such work often involves solvents and chemicals and
even things like scalpels that they undertake such efforts at their own peril
and the object's as well.  (There's a small thing called "Liability" to keep
in the back of your mind).

Conservators recognize that in many situations and many institutions that
people from janitors to directors may involve themselves in "cleaning" an
object from time-to-time.  Many of us are involved in educating the museum
community as well as the general public about what is "safe" to do, and when
to stop and call in one of us for advice before getting in over your head.

There are even professional positions now, such as Field Services and
Professional Services Staffs, who are soley dedicated to the task of
diseminating such collections care information.

It is not enough to tell people not to do things, as conservators we have to
communicate our underlying principles and philosophies, based on objective
observation & examination, which guide us in determining if and when to
intervene and how to intervene.  We need enculcate a consciousness of
recognizing and identifying specific problems and collecting enough
information to undertake a safe and reversible course of remedial action.
 Informed phone calls and e-mail queries are the best ones to answer!

Fourth, people thirst for direct, straight-forward answers and they aren't
likely to get them from a conservator.  We are ever-cautious types and by
virtue of our training, usually respond,   "It depends..."  ;-)

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator of Metals & Arms