From:
eliot stadler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 08:39:01 CST
Hello, here at the Minnesota Historical Society we are in the very beginning
of planning for our WEATHER exhibit, scheduled to open in Fall, '01.  Given
an interest in producing an exhibit that will speak to multiple senses, it's
possible that we might be venturing into producing " outdoor" areas within
our gallery.   I'm interested in hearing about anything that even smacks of
creating the sensual aspects of the outdoors, indoors.

Has anyone seen some really terrific lighting techniques somewhere, and
where might that be?  Is anyone familiar with using room-sized smells
(something bigger than small vials and squeeze bulbs)?  How about the use of
fans to create air movement, or even the use of rain/spray indoors?  The
list is open and completely unfocused at this point so brain storming is
encouraged.

Yes, we realize that some ideas may lead us into potential conservation
problems for our collections.  On the other hand, though,  we're just
dreaming at this point... and that's the best way to begin.  I hope to hear
some great ideas.  Thanks.

Eliot Stadler
Minnesota Historical Society,  Exhibits Department
(PH) 651-215-6885
(FAX) 651-297-8224