From:
"Warden, Lea" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 17:19:54 -0400
Dear Colleagues:

I am currently a fellow at the Smithsonian Institution researching the life-cycle of museum crates. My project, IMPACT: The Traveling Exhibit Industry and Sustainability, is supported by the Smithsonian's Fellowship in Museum Practice Program.  The purpose of the project is to determine if more sustainable methods could be applied to the construction, use, and disposal of crates. Your participation in the attached survey will create an accessible pool of information and ideas the profession can utilize, as a community, to develop more sustainable practices.

The goal of the survey is to realize the volume of crating and packaging materials being purchased, used, and ultimately discarded by the museum profession.  Along with quantitative data the survey will gather comments and ideas about current and future practices. To truly be stewards of the past, present, and future we must assess how products produced for and by museums impact the world. I believe as members of the global society we must continually review our methodologies in light of dwindling natural resources.

Although identifying information is optional it would permit future communication and help eliminate duplicate entries.  Only one completed survey should be submitted per organization.  Please note that the survey contains questions about supply and service expenditures from your organization's last fiscal year. Please click on the following link to learn about starting and stopping the survey. Resuming Survey <https://webaccess.si.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://surveymonkey.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/surveymonkey.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_sid=djz5d1xi%26p_lva=%26p_li=%26p_faqid=33%26p_created=1108059134%26p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD05MyZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmN>

The online survey will be closed on August 1, 2007.  An email notice will then be distributed (through the same outlets used to distribute the survey), which will include a web link to the survey's results.  Any identifying information will NOT be visible or accessible through the survey's results link. You will be able to print, filter, and download the survey results. Again, identities are fully protected. All comments and questions should be directed to Lea Foster Warden via email to [log in to unmask]

Your participation is important. You can make a difference. Please click the "Start Survey" link to participate in this important survey.

Start Survey <https://webaccess.si.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=443463521736>

Sincerely,

Lea T. F. Warden

Please feel free to forward this email.