From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:19:56 -0600
Hi Indigo, Patrick et al.:

If the land and property on display are a private non-profit (i.e., the
US military sold or gave the land over), then they are in a position to
host whatever events they want to hold - including a presidential visit
and speech.  In Colorado, a bastion of Republican politics, the risk of
offending Democrats is unlikely to dissuade.

OTOH, if the land and property on display in the Wings over the Rockies
Air and Space Museum - on Lowry Air Force Base - belongs to the US
military, then George Bush, President and Commander in Chief, should be
welcome with open arms to give a speech or dance a jig there.

Just because the rules allow it, does not make it ethical.  Of course,
if you were director, curator, or some other high-placed employee of
that museum, would you protest a Presidential visit?  It's good
publicity AND it means you get to keep your job!

Patrick - Re: Fundraisers
Few fit the mission of museums other than providing funds to remain open
. . . which is vital to the mission of museums.  A fashion show is as
good a fundraiser as anything, if it does not compromise the safety of
the collection/facility or the quality of the educational resources and
academic scholarship.  (One of Joslyn Art Museum's affiliate groups
holds a fashion show, "The Art of Fashion," every November - off site,
of course.  Quite a successful affair.)

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum
2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)   342-2376 (fax)

"Fine art is that in which the hand, the head
and the heart go together."
                          John Ruskin, 1819-1900
                          The Two Paths. Lecture ii.