From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:36:37 -0500
Can you give me a quick reply on how attendance is doing?   Our attendance is up over the past 3 years.

If you have had staff cuts?   No, we have actually hired, but they were existing positions.  No recently created positions have been hired as far as I know.

If you have had any budget cuts?   Significant budget cuts across the board.  These were made in order to prevent layoffs.  Raises were minimal (no more than 2%) for all staff, exhibits were reduced, major projects are postponed, some part-time, hourly people had their hours cut (people who come in two or three times a week or less), over-time is forbidden for the majority of hourly employees (maintenance is the exception).

I am looking for anecdotal stories about the general state of your Museum...  We are doing okay right now.  We do have a deficit, but not in the millions.  We are private so our reliance on tax dollars is not minimal at best.  Our endowment has been hurt with the stock market situation, and we draw on it three years after it makes money.  In other words our 2003 budget is from the 2000 earnings on the market.  That means that we must go through three more years of bad earnings and tight budgets.

Ironically the events of Sept. 11, 2001 may have helped us with increased visitorship.  Our visitors come from primarily the Midwest region.  People are not traveling far for short trips and vacations, they are traveling by car which you have to have to get to us anyway, and our foreign visitor percentage has never been more than 1%, unlike Plymouth Plantation and Colonial Williamsburg.  We are in the middle of the second fastests growing county in the US, and the fastests growing in the State of Indiana.  Our neighbors are middle to upper middle-class folks with a lot of stay-at-home moms, who like education and entertainment.  They tend to commute to their Indianapolis jobs and back.  While layoffs have occurred for this economic group, it has not (or yet) hit this particular group hard here.  We are quite aware that it can happen to them and that it may still happen.

Lana Newhart-Kellen
Registrar
Conner Prairie Museum
(smack dab in the middle of Indiana)
13400 Allisonville Road
Fishers  IN  46038

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/03/03 02:17PM >>>
Hope everyone is doing well.....

Here at The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, we are in the heat of 2004
budgeting and I need your help.

Can you give me a quick reply on how attendance is doing?

If you have had staff cuts?

If you have had any budget cuts?

I am looking for anecdotal stories about the general state of your Museum...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

Jack Bunning
Director of Marketing and Development
The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza
411 Elm Street, Suite 120;     Dallas, TX 75202
Ph: 214-747-6660 Ext. 6695     Fax: 214-747-6662
http://www.jfk.org/      mailto:[log in to unmask]