From:
"Craig, Michelle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 10:18:33 -0500
For Amy in the smallest town in America, and any others who may be
interested, the Post article you are referring to featured Peter Swales
as the lead voice protesting the Library of Congress' proposed Freud
exhibition.  And while Swales does have a varied career past (including
work in the entertainment industry -- for the Rolling Stones, I think?!),
he has indeed received training in psychology.  Nor did Swales act alone.
 He was the advocate for a petition of protestors (including
psychologists, historians, etc.) who were not only protesting Freud's
theories but the selection of Freud scholars chosen to research the
exhibition.

I was extremely relieved that the Post reported two days (front page,
Style section 2/28/96) ago that the show has been rescheduled.  The
initial delay was, according to Library representatives, due to "lack of
funds -- a $352,000 shortfall."  The exhibition is scheduled to open in
1998 -- the intermediate time to be used to raise the addition funding
necessary, or -- and this sounds strangely familiar -- plan for a smaller
version of the exhibition.

Amy -- if you would like a copy of this article, I'd be happy to foward
one to you.  As an aside, in addition to Freud's known writings, there is
a publication which I plan to peruse that may shed some light on why
Freud's theories are being to strongly contested.  I apologize for not
remembering the name of the author, but the title is something like
"Inside the Freud Archives."  Whether the information in this publication
is true, the story behind it is a little sad.  A Freud scholar, after
gaining the confidence of Freud's decedents, was permitted access to
unpublished papers and research materials.  His product was a scathing
criticism of most of Freud's basic theories.

Best of luck!

Michelle L. Craig
American Psychological Assocation
Traveling Psychology Exhibition