From:
elizabeth No <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:23:22 -0400
Hello Everyone! I have been given a homework assignment that I need your
help with. The historical society I am working with is beginning plans to
improve our image in the public. We have many needs, most of which require
us to increase our marketing efforts to raise awareness in the community
about who we are and what we do. One weakness that we face is in our
membership. Over 90% of our membership is over the age of 55. So, in
response, our marketing committee of our board has developed a "Young
Professionals" advisory board. Our original thought was that this board
would help us raise awareness of our programs, facilities, etc. to younger
people aged 18-40. We had a mixer to see what the interest might be. There
were only 6 people, but they were all extremely interested, and promised to
bring others. The problem we, as a committee, are facing is what do we do
with them once we have them. So, I would like to ask the following
questions. For those of you who have a similar committee:

1. What kinds of things does your "marketing" or "community" advisory board
do when the meet?

2. What are the benefits to being an advisory board members and what
incentives do you offer to get them to come/stay?

3. How does your board interact with your permanent board and your public?

4. How often do you meet?

I know there are many more questions, but this will help us to begin
thinking of them. I hope that I explained this well enough. If you need more
information, please feel free to call me or e-mail me.  I could really use
some help on this.

Thanks,

Elizabeth Nohra
Mahoning Valley Historical Society