From:
Kathy Mancuso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 00:38:14 -0400
Those of you who have had relatively long term (semester or year)
Smithsonian internships which don't pay--or those of you who work at the
Smithsonian or somewhere in DC and might know: how have you managed to eat
and pay rent during an internship?  are there weekend or evening job
possibilities at the smithsonian (special events or security or something
like that) or at other places that would look kindly on museum/arts sorts
of skills?  where did you stay?  how did you find out where to stay or
where to work?  i'm trying to plan how i could best get an internship, and
all of these are major issues--i've actually had a couple offers from
people who really could use an intern so that is less of a problem.  I'd
also like to know any thoughts on your experiences as a Smithsonian intern
and on the application process, etc. My interests are specificallly in the
Museum of Natural History Anthro Dept or Nat. Anth. Archives/Human Studies
Film Archives, the Museum of African Art, the Postal Museum, or the
Folklife office.  Reply off-list if it's easier.

Also, has anyone ever received a Research Training Program fellowship
through NMNH or know very much about that program?  I have a research
project in mind and possible staff mentors, but it sounds like they want to
have hypothesis-driven "scientific" anthropology, not work with the
archives and collections (I want to do something that would specifically
focus on the way the Smithsonian displays/has displayed other cultures).

Kathy Mancuso