Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 17:42:00 EWT
1. Yes, for children and adults, preferably one for each group per month.
   We also do school outreaches on a per-request basis.
2. We try to round up some community speaker to give a lecture on some
historical topic or other, do a walking tour of a cemetery or architecture,
 etc.once a month. It gets pretty sparse in winter, though.  We try to offer a
saturday morning fun time for kids every month, with story telling, old
fashioned games, braided rug making, crystal radio (tied in with exhibition
about local contributions to radio/TV industry), jackolantern carving contest
(prizes for all), etc.    I give a several-hour workshop on some aspect of
conservation - e.g. how to take care of your photos, quilts, whatever about
once a semester.    We also co-sponsor a Civil War Reenactment (with parks
& rec.).
3. Schools make lots of use of our 5 different outreach boxes which a volunteer
takes and does a song-and-dance  oops; I meant a show-and-tell. ;) We don't
currently have enough staff or willing volunteers to do anything more ambitious.
4. We have a volunteer (arts administration student getting some practical
experience -- vita type stuff) who lines up volunteers to do the school out-
reaches; Phone requests for school tours are taken by whichever of the paid
staff of 2 answers the phone, and either the volunteer docent or one of the
curators (^^) actually gives the tour.

We are small by virtue of budget. We have a paid professional staff of 2
(other curator is 1/2 time) and a volunteer pool of over 75.

Christopher Bobbitt, Curator of Collections, acting director until the
   Board eventually finds one and we're back up to staff of 3 ;)
Monroe County Historical Museum
202 E. 6th St.
Bloomington, IN 47408     [log in to unmask]