From:
Karen Wetmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 14:26:24 -0700
You probably have to have worked there or have to refer to specimens
deposited there to know, but the National Museum of Natural History is also
called the United States National Museum, and specimen numbers are cited as
USNM numbers.  I don't know this history of this designation or whether it
includes any other Smithsonian museums.

Karen Wetmore