From:
dkennard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:44:44 +1100
I am currently writing a short article for the MAG, the Journal of the
Museums & Galleries Foundation NSW, on donation boxes in museums &
galleries as a means of raising income for general use and special
projects. I have noted the interest by respondents to this discussion
list in using a donation box as an alternative to charging entrance
fees.   However, I want to demonstrate, if possible, that design novelty
is an important element in attracting a donation as well as the location
and information provided about its purpose..

The following are questions I have sent to number of museums in UK and
in NSW. I should be grateful for any answers to these questions  I have
perused the answers provided to date, but I should like something more
in depth.

My questions were:

 1. Do you have a donation box and, if so, can you provide details
    (sketch or pix) of the design?
 2. Has it been successful?
 3. Do you receive bank notes as well as coins?
 4. Is it secure?
 5. Are you able to give me some figures on actual income received
    over a period?
 6. Where is it located in relation to the entrance/exit?

Many thanks in anticipation,
Desmond Kennard
Museums in the making