From:
Sheldon Schafer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 1994 17:12:02 -0500
We have an exhibit in public places which may not exactly be what
you're thinking of, but if you'd like more information, please contact
me directly.  The exhibit is a scale model of the Solar System, with
size and distance on the same scale.  It starts at our museum with
the sun represented by and painted on our planetarium dome.  At the
site of each planet we have a museum sign and an accurately painted
model. Locations include a school supply store (Mercury), an insurance
agency (Venus), a gas station/service center (Earth), a TV station
(Mars), the public library (Jupiter, which is four feet across),
the regional airport's lobby (Saturn - with 8'rings we needed a big
space), a public park (Uranus), a car dealership (Neptune), and a
furniture store (Pluto, 40 miles away and one inch in diameter).
 It happens to be the largest model of the solar system in the world,
recognized on page 7 of the 1994 Guinness Book of Records.
Sheldon Schafer
Deputy Director, Science/Planetarium Director
Lakeview Museum of Arts and Sciences
Peoria, Illinois