From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 08:13:56 -0700
On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Harry Needham (Tel 776-8612) wrote:

> Some years ago, I was in an experimental galley in the old Arts & Industries
> Bldg at the Smithsonian, where visitors were encouraged to react to an
> exhibition by writing on 2" x 2" post-it notes and sticking these on a large
> board.

In my previous job, I developed an exhibit on the history of Rosicrucians
in San Jose. I tacked two 4' x 8' fomecore boards to the wall, each with
a question - one addressed to Rosicrucians and the other asking everyone
about their first memory of visiting Rosicrucian Park. We provided 2" x
4" notes. We got about 50 responses each day, ranging from multi-note
stories to drawings to exhibit critiques to pure grafiti. (I was please
to see that NO ONE wrote on the boards.) On the Rosicrucian board, in
particular, there were some ongoing discussions.

I had originally envisioned these boards as computer stations, but we
were unable to get the technology. I think that the "analog" format, in
this case, promoted more interaction than a computer survey would have.

I would think that this method would work well to encourage discussion
about controversy, too. I observed quite a few people reading the notes,
pointing out comments to others in their party, then writing their own.

Susan Wageman
Grants Manager                    [log in to unmask]
The Tech Museum of Innovation     (408) 279-7178
145 West San Carlos Street        fax (408) 279-7149
San Jose, CA  95113  USA          http://www.thetech.org