From:
ODETTE DIAZ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 1994 16:20:41 EDT
Now, let me preface this by saying that I'm from Fayetteville, GA--I'm
not aiming wildly. I love many things about my home state, and some I
can do without. I'm intimately familiar with the reverence for all
things Confederate, and I understand all manners of nostalgia for bygone
days. YET--

I am curious as to what sort of debate has surrounded this event. I
realize that I am assuming a debate exists (and you know what they say
about assuming things . . .), but I would imagine that at some point
someone might have questioned reactions, both in favor of and against,
this display. How publicised has been the exhumation/reinterrment? Who
is doing it? Federal government? State government? Priate entity? Who is
footing the bill? The Texas family? Are any other celebrations/
commemorations associated with this particular instance?

I suppose what really caught my fancy is that the remains will lie in
state in the Old Governor's Mansion. Is this the GA or TX Old Governor's?
If it is in GA, this implies we Georgians are honoring the remains, and
I personally know of a good number of Georgians who would choose not to
do so.

I sincerely hope this question doesn't turn into yet another discussion
of remains (although the last one was fascinating) or of
(hyper)sensitity or (in)correctness. Before we veer off the
road--Lighten up, y'all. I'm not being malicious, just honestly curious.

You may reply to me directly, or to the list if anyone else is
interested.

Thanks! And good luck with the period detail! ODiaz

ODETTE DIAZ
NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AMERICAN HISTORY
WASHINGTON, DC   USA