From:
David Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 2015 15:33:58 -0400
I don't have an article to share, but we did just use a very effective soundscape in our last temporary exhibit.

As the exhibit involved historic cattle trails and ranches, we felt a soundscape would add to the exhibit. I used Audacity to combine a variety of sound effects to create the sound of a herd of cattle. In addition to the general herd sound, there is a cow and calf, bells, a whip crack, birds, and other noises.

Played through an MP3 player, amplifier, and omnidirectional speaker, the effect is quite nice. Fortunately, the dynamics of the space allow it to appear to not be from a specific spot, helping to establish the ambient nature of the sound.

I would be more than happy to talk to the colleague if they want.

Dave Kennedy
580-237-1907, x.225