From:
David Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 13:41:03 -0400
Dear Colleagues,
We are installing a small exhibition case of historic golf related artifacts to coincide with the 2008 Senior Open to be held here in our City at the end of July.
Our exhibit designer would like to use some artificial turf in the bottom of the case.  It is not AstroTurf brand but is a look-alike product.  The fake grass itself is polyethylene (which should be archivally OK) but the backing is urethane foam (which may not be OK).
The exhibit is relatively short (will be up about a month) and will include some historic clubs (steel heads, wood shafts, leather grips), a bag (cotton, leather) and some balls (who knows what these are made of).
Do we need to be concerned about off-gassing?
We can install a fan to ventilate the case if necessary.
Thank you for your thoughts on this.
Sincerely,
David Ryan
Registrar