From:
Claire Pillsbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 11:25:02 -0800
I would be interested to hear from those who have worked with and/or used
bilingual labels in their museum or individual exhibitions.
Our science technology museum is in California and we are trying to assess
what the planning process and budgeting would be for Spanish & English text
on the labels.
Word of wisdom and practical advice from those who have experience in
bilingual labels would be most helpful!
1) How did you select the individuals to do the translating and writing?
2) Did you do evaluation (informal or formal) on how the two languages
worked in the exhibits?  Was there an effect simply from having 2
languages?
3) Did you translate all of the text or just parts?
4) What are important design considerations to keep in mind? (to make it
easy to identify the language of your preference; to avoid covering the
exhibit in text, etc. . .)
5) Is there a way to ball park estimate the additional cost for writing,
editing, graphic design and graphic production in two languages?

You can reply to me directly or on the list if others are interested in
this discussion.

Claire Pillsbury
Exhibit Developer
Tech Museum of Innovation;145 West San Carlos; San Jose, CA, 95113; USA
PH 408-279-7136,        FAX 408-279-7197