From:
Jennifer Jacks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 23:18:40 -0500
I am a graduate student in a public history program and a current intern.
The experience I'm gaining is invaluable and not something I could really
learn in a classroom setting. I am working on an exhibit that is opening at
the beginning of May.  None of what I do can really be considered "dirty
work."  The program's  internship director requires frequent reports to
make sure that all the interns are learning museum "stuff", not how to make
a good cup of coffee

My first internship experience was when I was an undergraduate.  I suddenly
decided that I did not want to teach high school history and I didn't know
what to do with a history degree.  My advisor encouraged me to apply for an
internship in a house museum operated by the local historical society.  The
director was energetic and enthusiastic and not afraid to let me loose to
do and learn. I contacted donors, gave tours, wrote an artifact recovery
plan, and a bit of everything else. That experience is what turned me on to
museum work.

Based on my experience, internships are beneficial to both the museum and
the student.