From:
Johanna Goldfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jun 2011 13:25:48 -0400
[Apologies for posting twice! I neglected to change the subject
heading the first time...]

Hi Erin,
In regards to your first issue -- Who is taking on the expense of
making the prints, the artist or the museum? Even though the prints
are specifically for the show, it sounds from your brief description
like it should still be treated as a 'loan,' in which case, the prints
would either be returned to the artist (to dispose of if that's what
he wishes:-(, or traveled with his permission.

On copyright -- traveling and publicizing the exhibition will give the
artist a level of exposure which I would think is of great value to
him.  So, hopefully he will be amenable to an agreement to use his
work for publicity, and you should have a written contract specifying
the terms, as well as the parameters of the loan/donation. (You can
find examples online, or hopefully one of our museum colleagues can
supply you with an example). Items to take into consideration: which
works can be reproduced? in what capacity can they be reproduced (e.g.
in newspapers/magazines and on postcards but not on mousepads:-)? what
credit line is requested/required? what is the maximum ppi for web
use?

Hope that's helpful!
-Johanna
--