From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 21:03:14 -0700
When they called, that would have been the time to arrange to deliver the
items to the person.  However, since you know the party's address, you could
have the items sent via a courier or a carrier, insured, with a signed
receipt requested or make a signature request of the UPS delivery.  I'm sure
the other national carriers also have this provision.
Although legally you could call them abandon property, you are right that it
would not be a good thing.  In this instance in particular, it would be best
to find a way to deliver the objects to the party.  If they refuse to accept
them, that would then, I think, clear you to regard them as abandon property
with less fear of ill will.
I can see this problem from both sides.  Had I left an employer with bad
feelings, I would be rather leery of receiving a letter from that employer
that required my signature.  As a collections staff person, I know how
frustrating it is when people do not claim their loans whether they were
items for consideration or items for an exhibit.