From:
Stephen Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 1994 13:39:46 EDT
For a new project, I'm in the process of collecting information
about using interactive computing / multimedia computing
to get children interested in reading books.
And this automation would be used in an exhibition gallery
setting -- using the computers would be part of the
experience of visiting the gallery, along with viewing
historic children's books, prints, drawings, as well as hearing
staff talk about what's on exhibit.

I am aware of some of the software aimed at teaching literacy --
such as the Learning Company's Reader Rabbit series.  I am
also aware of the interactive books issued by Broderbund, Voyager,
Knowledge Adventure, and (what seems like) a growing host of
other companies, not to mention Microsoft.

What I'm curious to learn is if there are any in the museum
field (especially the children's museum field) who are using
such technology to stimuate such an interest.

Also, given the reasoning that analagous situations may also yield
some useful information, I'd be curious to learn who is using
automation in a gallery setting to get children interested in
math, or art, or music, and so forth.

Respond as you wish, either to me singly or to the list. I'm grateful
for any and all help.

Stephen Ferguson
Special Collections
Princeton University Library