From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:35:47 -0400
Dear Mr. Martinson,

What does my nationality have to do with my response, or for that matter,
with my original post? I hope that the validity of my positions does not
depend on my nationality.

Based on your response to some of my statements it is obvious that you
simply do not understand some of what I wrote. Because of this, and because
I simply cannot devote the time and effort to untangle the conglomeration of
unsupported assertions, rhetorical flourishes, and suspect facts that your
response to me is, I will not attempt to rebut your post. It is also evident
from you writings that you knowledge of Middle Eastern culture is very
limited and many of your assertions regarding possible responses by Iraqis
are simply not credible. Curators normally operate from established facts
not from wishful thinking or unsupported statements.

Be that as it may, you still miss the central core of the discussion of the
past few days. The core discussion of the past few days has been: What, if
any, responsibility does an invading force have towards the protection of
cultural items of the country invaded. Colen Powell says that America has
the responsibility to protect and recover looted cultural items. It has been
established by this discussion that the Geneva Convention also places
responsibility of protecting cultural items (as well as, the population) on
the victorious party. If the words of our Secretary of State and
international law are not sufficient for you, then you should also become
aware of the American legal concept of depraved indifference. If you, as a
citizen, observe someone bleeding to death and fail to help you may be found
both civilly and criminally liable. The various circumstances that affect
the actual liability are too complex to go into here, but they do exist. In
short, Americans legally bear responsibility for the looting to some degree.
In my view when you area stationed yards away from an obvious criminal act
and have the means to stop it (guns) failure to do so constitutes depraved
indifference.

My original post merely stated that America has both a legal and political
self-interest responsibility to prevent breaches in civil security in Iraq
(this includes preventing looting). You cite no legal or moral arguments to
rebut this position. Your whole counter is to blame Saddam, his regime, the
perpetrators, and the UN. The issue, however, never has been if there is no
liability on the part of other actors. No one here defended Sadam, for
example. No one defends the looters. The issue was simply that due to bad
planning or cultural insensitivity the American military failed to live up
to international law and its own best self-interest.

Last point. Some in our discussion have asked the most significant question:
What positive things can we do now? I think writing to your representatives
to request a congressional inquiry of the incident and contacting UNESCO to
see what pro-active help we can give is a good beginning.
N.Burlakoff