From:
Renee Raduechel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 1994 12:35:52 CDT
I have a bit of a problem.  This Saturday and Sunday we're having a special
event called "Women's Work" at our museum, to include a suffrage rally both
days.  I've been tapped to serve as opposition at the rally (definitely not
typecasting), and need to research the reasons why women would be anti-
suffrage at the time.

I plan to read Wollstonecraft's _Vindication of the Rights of Woman_ and the
text from the 1848 convention to get a feeling for the reasons women might
cite at the time in favor of suffrage.  I also have access to _Light of the
Home_ and _Just a Housewife_ for images of woman during the nineteenth c.
And since it has a 1994 publication date, I'm going to see if I can find
_Women against women : American anti-suffragism, 1880-1920_ at any of the
bookstores within driving distance.

The main argument I have so far is that a woman's primary duty was the care
of her husband and family, and how could she acquit that task well if she
spent so much time keeping up with politics in order to make an informed
choice during the elections.  I'll also mention the idea that in campaigning
for women's rights these women going to rallies and speaking in public (how
unladylike) are also neglecting their families while providing a poor example
for their children.

I'll admit I'm the competitive type.  I want to do a good job with this --
and I want to win, even though I'm wrong.  :^)

Could anyone suggest relatively "common" sources of information about anti-
suffragism (ones that I wouldn't have to resort to ILL to find), perhaps a
good overview?  Alternatively, are there any other arguments I could make?

Also:  I have no idea where Americans during the 19th century obtained their
information about candidates for state and federal offices, aside from
stumping the candidates did.  Did information appear in local newspapers?
In publications like _Harper's_ or _Peterson's_?  Local party representatives?
Distribution of information in town meetings?  Posting notices in public
places like the general store or the blacksmith shop?  I'm trying to determine
if it would have been more difficult for a woman to educate herself on
political matters than for a man, in terms of access to information.

Due to the short notice, I would appreciate all of the help I could get.

Sorry for the bother,
Renee Raduechel
Interpreter, Old World Wisconsin

--
You know it's going to be a bad day when the tour from the Miller Brewing Co.
is scheduled for the same day as the temperance rally.  :^(